Monday, March 5, 2012

A room without a view




I woke up in the middle of last night and thought that the world had ended and no one thought to post it on facebook. Where there are usually lights (of the neighboring castle and the large towns down the valley), there was just...nothing. All I could see was a solid gray mass of fog. I actually got vertigo when I got close to the windows to look. I'm not usually very fond of heights, but the gorgeous view keeps me looking out the windows here. When there's nothing but gray, though, it's a little creepy. In any case, it afforded me the opportunity to take some indoor pictures today, including of the library adjacent to our kitchen (which you can see through the window), and one of the many, many portraits of Ezra Pound .

My folks are visiting, and while my father gave a guest presentation on cross-cultural psychology to the Crofters, my mother and I (and little J on his short legs) walked (up, up, uphill) to the local market for some shopping. And then we walked back down the steep hill with five bags of supplies and a tired toddler. Now my arms will be as sore as my legs are at the end of each day on the side of this mountain.

After that excursion, we spent most of the rest of the day indoors listening to the wind howl, venturing out only for dinner at the folks' hotel/apartment up the hill, armed with two varieties of Brunnenburg wine straight from the cellar. We had a very nice muskatellar, followed by a vernatsch. Nik, the vintner here, values organic practices blended with good taste, resulting in very drinkable and sustainable wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment